Thursday, January 26, 2012

Member's Profile

Interview with William Ishmael



What is your background in art and how does your engineering background affect your art?      -Kathleen
[WEI+Art+Infinity+Head+Shot.JPG]I have been drawing and sketching my whole life but began painting in earnest 25 years ago.  I focused on  watercolor landscapes at first which I did largely on day hikes so much of my earlier work was rocks, water, trees.  Because of my engineering background the composition of those landscapes had foreground, middle ground, background, vanishing point...  only a little looser than mechanical drafting! -William


You came into an art career later in your life, how did you discover art?  -Kathleen
I took my 'best' landscapes to a class taught by Jim Estey who immediately declared when he saw them: "You must be an engineer or something. You need to loosen up!"  So that class was my discovery of art-I discovered that loosening up with color and form was a lot of fun for me!
 -William

What has art become in your life? -Kathleen
Art has become a focus in my life for expressing myself. One of the things I find fascinating about an exhibit like the one at the Blue Line Gallery is that it permits me to see a period of work all in one viewing and to gain from that vision new perspective about my current feelings and direction.  My work here has some common themes -- portals to the spiritual realm, emerging hope, intensity of religious feeling, wholeness and fragmentation --  that became clear to me only after they were all hung. 

It has also become the basis of some very important friendships.  I enjoy artists and their points of view very much and I like collaborating with them. For example, I have known Meech Miyagi for a long time, but working with him on planning and executing the show has really helped us get to know each other better.  -William

Have you found a lot of success through your art? -Kathleen
Yes indeed!  I have many paintings in beautiful homes and offices throughout the Sacramento region.  
I love to deliver and help hang the work so I get to see the setting for the painting and see how so many times it enlivens or enhances the space. I love that part very much. And I have many clients who purchase my work repeatedly -- a true measure of success!

My work is also achieving acclaim outside the region.  This year my work was selected for juried shows in Santa Cruz and Long Beach and won the "Founder's Choice Award" for the on-line 'Infinity Gallery', (as well as being accepted into the juried Crocker Art Auction). 

Also, I recently learned that I am a finalist for the Sacramento Arts and Business Council "Artist of the Year" and I am so flattered to have been nominated and to become a finalist!   -William

Where have you exhibited your artwork?
 -Kathleen
I exhibited with Pam Skinner/Gwenna Howard Contemporary Art Gallery for several years as well as the Art Foundry Gallery. I have also shown at the 2237 Gallery (Williams-Paddons Architects' beautiful lobby space in their office here on Douglas Boulevard.) as well as the Main Cross Gallery in Lexington, Kentucky.  I have also exhibited paintings for short periods of time in City Hall in Sacramento, Piatti Restuarant in the Pavilions, Valley Vision's Board Room, and other similar venues.  -William 

Who/what inspires you? -Kathleen
I am inspired by the effects of time and weather on materials-old Roman walls, the sides of the Grand Canyon, deteriorated pavements, lichen on old trees, and the randomness of corrosion and erosion.  The Japanese call that look Wabi-Sabi. I am also inspired by my readings in the world religious traditions and their artistic expressions-Christianity, Judaism, Native American traditions, Zen Buddhism, and Hinduism.   -William


What mediums do you work with? And why are you drawn to them? -Kathleen
I do acrylic based work predominately. It is very durable and works with other materials well. And that quality is important because of the size of my pieces and the fact that my 'other materials' include iron, rust, sand, seed pods, burnt asphalt roof tiles, metal screen, ashes, etc. I love the textures and effects that I can achieve with that variety of materials.  
 -William 
What are you working on right now, or would like to be working on? -Kathleen
I love commissions!  I like the challenge of meeting with a client, seeing their home or office and doing a painting to enhance the space and do one they love. I thrive when the work I do is loved by the new owner! 

And I am loving having done the work exhibited here that is 9 feet by 12 feet.  I would love to do a commission for a lobby or large facility that is that size or bigger!   -William 

How long have you been a member and involved with Blue line Gallery?   -Kathleen 
                     
I have only gotten involved with the Blue Line a few months ago through an introduction from Mark Bowles who will be having a show here next September.  But I am so impressed with Julie Hirota and the volunteer staff that seem to be there all the time really putting in good work.  And the range of activities that are supported out of this facility and this organization.  Amazing!  -William 


About Blue Line Gallery – Roseville Arts! is a non-profit community center for the arts. 
405 Vernon St, Ste. 100, Roseville, CA 95678 |              (916) 783-4117 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (916) 783-4117      end_of_the_skype_highlighting      
Gallery Hours: Tues-Sat 11-3 Closed Sun & Mon

No comments:

Post a Comment