Thursday, February 16, 2012

Member's Profile

Nanci Woody

Heron
My background is that of a teacher and administrator at American River College. I'm retired now and spent the last five years writing a novel, Tears and Trombones, about a big-band-era classical musician. I've entered the first few chapters in several writing contests and have won in some, but could not find an agent wiling to take it on. I became discouraged with writing and took up art again (after a few years' absence) for the pleasure of it. After I accumulated several pieces, I entered them in juried shows and started showing. I've always loved art, began drawing as a small child, and have visited galleries the world over.

The drawing, "Heron", comes from my love of birds. I find them fascinating, beautiful creatures to be admired.  I watch birds, feed them and have large flocks in my back yard daily. "Heron" was drawn from a photo of a white-crowned heron. I loved the "look" of the bird. However, there is no such bird as the one in my drawing. For example, I made him purple, gave him a crown of black feathers, etc. I am presently working on a series of other amazing-looking birds.

I did start "Heron" in a class at the Crocker taught by David Lobenberg, but did most of the work on it after the class was finished. Now (lucky me!), "Heron" is hanging at the Crocker in a student exhibition.

During the past year, I've entered different pieces into several juried shows and have been fortunate to have  them accepted. (Lincoln Arts Juried Show, KVIE on-air annual auction and fundraiser, CCAS Fall Fundraiser,  Blue Line Gallery, Rocklin Fine Arts).  I have, in addition to the bird series a series of "Wild Flowers", drawn from my imagination.

I've been a member of The Blue Line Gallery for about a year now. I'm also a member of Placer Arts, Rocklin Fine Arts, The Crocker and the Blue Line Gallery (and of course, The Audubon Society). I currently have a piece hanging at BLG in the show 'Minimal/Colorful'.


About Blue Line Gallery – Roseville Arts! 
is a non-profit community center for the arts. 
405 Vernon St, Ste. 100, Roseville, CA 95678
Gallery Hours: Tues-Sat 11-3 Closed Sun & Mon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nanci!

    I recently saw your art at the deli in Auburn and loved it, especially the wild flowers in black and white and color. So beautiful! Your animals have so much personality too.

    --Dayana

    ReplyDelete